Entrepreneurs, students, businessmen, trainers, lecturers, and more use computers daily.
The question is: is it everyone that has it?
The simple answer is NO!
Is the demand for it high?
The answer is YES!
The effect of the pandemic and lockdown has made a lot of people work remotely. And this has increased the need for laptops by many people to stay connected and perform their job.
Besides, people that have a laptop want to upgrade to a higher one.
In this very post, we will consider how to start a laptop sales business in Nigeria.
Let’s jump into it.
Why Start Laptop Sales Business [Market Research]
1. Opportunity: There’s a high demand for laptops by people working remotely, students that need them for academic work, entrepreneurs that use them to start connecting with their customers and clients.
There’s a lot of people that use laptops for their business daily.
2. Being your own boss: Working for yourself allows you to be in charge of your life and time.
3. The huge market of the business guarantees profit if you master the art of marketing.
4. More income: Besides selling laptops, you will sell accessories such as USB drives, antivirus, headsets, etc.
Locating a good place for your business is very important. It will help create awareness of your business and what you sell.
When searching for a location consider the following:
1. Accessibility: A place that will be easy for people to find you.
2. Competition: Find out the competition in the area by answering the following questions:
- How many shops sell laptops?
- What are your plans or strategies to beat the competition?
- Can you compete with them?
3. Rent: The nature of the place determines how much the rent will go. So understand that renting a shop in a high trafficked mall will cost more.
Registering the business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) is important. It gives you an edge over your competitors.
Customers will have the confidence to do business with you because of the trust they have in you.
You will have access to loans and grants from banks.
What You Need to Get Started in the Business
1. Capital: Every business needs capital to start likewise the laptop sales business. The capital is used for buying laptops and running the business effectively.
2. Rent a shop: You need a shop to sell to customers. The shop must be well ventilated to keep the laptops in good condition. However, make sure the location where the shop is located in a safe environment with the presence of security personnel.
3. Generator: You need to have a constant power supply to have the cooling systems (air conditioners and fans) working for the laptops and to test any laptop to be bought by a customer.
4. Staff: The number you will employ depends on the size of your business. You will need a good sales rep to be convincing customers to buy and not buy from your competitors.
Marketing the Business
There are different ways you can market and sell your products both online and offline.
Let’s consider the various ways to market and sell your laptops:
1. Get an e-commerce website: Having an e-commerce website will help in selling your products online. A platform where people can order and pay for a laptop of their choice and have it delivered to them.
If you can’t afford to have a website at the beginning. I recommend you register with Konga and Jumia by creating a shop on their platforms. Visit their websites to find out more about it
2. Social media marketing: A lot of people spend their time on social media. So placing your products by posting content of products on your profile or advertising. Doing this will create awareness about your business.
3. Google advert: Google is the biggest search engine and advertising on it will bring more visibility to your website. Anyone that clicks on your ad will automatically land on your website.
4. Affiliate marketing: This type of marketing can be done both online and offline. Where you pay commission to anyone who refers a customer and they end up buying your products.
5. Offline marketing: Offline marketing is still an effective type of marketing. You can ignore it because not everyone loves buying things online.
The offline marketing strategies include the following:
- Billboard ads
- Sharing of flyers
- Live demonstration: This type of marketing is hiring the service of a DJ with dancers to create awareness through dancing and sharing flyers at the same time.
- Media advertisement (radio, television, and newspaper)
- Phone marketing
You have to understand that no empire was built in a day. Patience and consistency are what you need to grow your business into a profitable one.
Make sure the products and services you are providing to your customers are top-notch.
Now I’d like to hear from you concerning starting your laptop sales business in the comment box.