What are hiccups
Hiccups can be so annoying and frustrating. They make it difficult to talk or eat. Everyone must have had hiccups at one point or the other. I think it’s a widespread thing in Nigeria. Hiccup usually stop on their own after few minutes, but some chronic ones could last 48 hours. You’d need to see a doctor for that. There’s a myth that if you place a rope on your head in Nigeria, the hiccups will stop. This is false.
What causes hiccups?
People believe that hiccups are caused by not drinking enough water. It is wrong. I’m here to correct that belief. Hiccups are associated with diaphragm spasms. What is a diaphragm? Your diaphragm is the muscle that helps you breathe properly. Hiccup happens when the diaphragm spasms and you try to live. Then the vocal cord closes abruptly. This causes that sound you make when you are experiencing it. As quickly as hiccups come, they go. Here are factors that cause hiccups:
2. Foods with a lot of spice
3. Rushing your food or eating in a hurry
4. Frizzy drinks
5. Excitement and stress
6. Exposure to an immediate change in the temperature
How do you get rid of hiccups?
Hiccups would always go on their own. But if you’d like to make it go faster, you can try out these tips. But remember, if your hiccups haven’t stopped for two days and are continuing, see the doctor as soon as you can.
1. Count one to five and breathe slowly. Breathe in first after the first round of five, then breathe out after the second. Continue like that for some minutes. You’d notice that your hiccup have stopped.
2. Get a paper bag and place your face in it. Breathe in and out. The paper bad inflates and deflates. Your hiccup stop.
3. Pinch your nose. Tighten your lips and breathe out
4. Sit comfortably and bring up your knees to the level of your chest. Stay in that position for like two minutes
5. Hold your breath for about 20 seconds and exhale slowly.
6. Pull out the tips of your tongue forward two times.
7. Use your thumb to squeeze your other palm
8. Message the carotid artery on the side of your neck for 2 minutes
9. Use your hand to apply pressure on your diaphragm.
What to take
When you have hiccup, there are things to take which would make it stop faster.
1. Chilled or warm water
2. Ice cubes
3. Drink water through paper towels
6. Honey or peanut butter
Other things you can do are to run the back of your neck or distract yourself completely.
Ways to prevent hiccups
1. Slow down while eating your food (It’s not a competition)
2. Eat in small quantity
3. Avoid alcohol and fizzy carbonated drinks
4. Avoid spicy food