A few weeks ago, I had an argument with my friends on the topic: “Which should be known first- how to drive a car or how to change a car tyre?“.
During the debate, I asked them the following questions:
1. Would you rather learn how to cook before learning how to wash a pot?
2. Would you rather learn how to use a clipper before learning how to fix the blade of a clipper?
3. What happens when your car tyre gets deflated along a highway known to be the setting of numerous incidents of armed robbery, and you do not know how to replace a car tyre?
As you could probably guess, I supported the idea of possessing the knowledge of replacing a car tyre before learning how to drive a car since that is the rational thing to do.
Ever since I attained the age of reason, I have noticed that most people prefer learning how to drive a car before acquiring knowledge of the act of changing a car tyre. This is not much different from becoming knowledgeable of the act of preparing a pot of soup before learning how to wash a pot.
Worse still, it was more ridiculous and shocking when I realized that a lot of car owners do not even learn how to change a car tyre throughout their lifetime.
Accordingly, I aim to use this article to educate people on the proper way of changing a car tyre.
WHY YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO CHANGE A CAR TYRE.
The significances of acquiring adequate knowledge of how to change a car tyre are:
1. SAVING OF MONEY:
Possessing sufficient knowledge of how to change a car tyre helps you save your finance because you will have no need of calling and paying someone else to do it for you. Thus, allowing you to save the money you would have spent changing the car tyre for other necessary expenses that may arise in the future.
2. THE JOY OF DOING IT YOURSELF:
There is this feeling of contentment, self-respect, happiness, self-satisfaction, and self-worth people derive from doing things by themselves. This pleasant feeling is also applicable to changing your car tyre by yourself. Such emotion can help in the relief of stress, the elevation of one’s self-esteem, and the prevention of depression.
Sometimes you may be in a heart-racing situation in which knowing how to change a car tyre becomes useful.
For instance, when your car tyre becomes deflated on a road known to have recorded numerous incidents of armed robbery, or when you are about going for an important occasion but you realize that you have a flat tyre while there is nobody to call to get the work done for you, or when you have to take your sick child to the hospital but you notice that your car tyre needs to be replaced. In these scenarios, possessing the knowledge of how to change a car will come in handy.
4. ASSISTANCE OF OTHER PEOPLE:
Having the ability and knowledge of changing a car tyre can make you a source of help to people who need their car tyre(s) to be changed.
5. EMPLOYMENT AND GENERATION OF FINANCE:
With the way this country, Nigeria, is regressing, it is agreeable that possessing personal skills and abilities will go a long way in alleviating the issue of unemployment in the country.
A person can make money if they take it upon themselves to use their knowledge of changing a car tyre as a means of generating income.
Hence, knowing how to change a car tyre could ultimately reduce the poverty of the country.
WHO SHOULD KNOW HOW TO CHANGE A CAR TYRE?
The simple answer is; anybody that is up to 15 years old and in good health and shape can know how to change a car tyre.
Again, the act of changing a car tyre should not be restricted to only those belonging to the male gender. Female humans could also change a car tyre.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CHANGING A CAR TYRE AND THEIR USES:
1. Spare tyre to replace the deflated one.
2. Car jack for lifting the side of the car where the tyre needs to be replaced.
3. Lug wrench for removing the lug nuts of the wheel.
4. Heavy objects serving as a wedge (E.g stones, concrete, spare wheels, e.t.c).
6. Mat for kneeling.
7. Tyre gauge to check if the spare tyre is well-pumped.
8. Torch is also necessary if you are carrying out the work at night.
PROCEDURES FOR CHANGING A CAR TYRE.
1. Find a flat, stable, solid and safe place to change the car tyre.
Parking on a solid, levelled surface will prevent the car from rolling when you are changing the tyre.
2. Use your hazard lights and parking brake.
Putting on the hazard lights of your car is very essential when you are along a public road because it draws visibility to your vehicle and makes other drivers aware of the condition of your vehicle, thereby preventing a collision.
Making use of the parking brake decreases the vehicle’s ability to roll.
3. Place heavy objects before the front and back tyres, and behind the tyre, you want to change.
The heavy objects e.g stones, serve as wedges and provides support for the vehicle while you are changing the tyre.
4. Remove the hubcap and loosen the lug nuts.
The hubcap is the wheel cover. Not all vehicles possess hubcaps. If your vehicle has one, remove it to expose the lug nuts.
On the other hand, the lug nuts are the nuts holding the tyre firmly to the wheelbase.
Loosen the lug nuts with a lug wrench which is suitable for your vehicle. This is done by securing the wrench on each lug nut and then turning it counterclockwise. Loosen each lug nuts to the point in which you can turn the lug nuts with your hands, then stop there.
5. Lift the car off the ground.
This is done by using the car jack.
Place the car jack underneath a metal portion of your vehicle’s frame, close to the wheel which you are changing.
Do NOT place the car jack underneath a plastic portion, as it will break it.
Once the jack is properly placed underneath a metal portion, use the jack to raise the car by cranking (turning) the extended part of the jack until the wheel you desire to change is way above the ground.
6. Completely remove the lug nuts and the tyre.
Remove the loosened lug nuts with your gloved hand and take off the tyre.
7. Place the spare tyre.
After using the tyre gauge to confirm that the spare tyre is well-pumped, line up the holes of the tyre with the lug nut posts, and then place the spare tyre on the wheelbase.
Furthermore, push the spare tyre as far onto the wheelbase as possible.
8. Replace the lug nuts.
Place the lug nuts on the projecting lug nut posts and tighten them halfway with your gloved hands. While doing this, make sure the spare tyre is well balanced on the wheelbase.
9. Lower the vehicle.
Lower the vehicle by turning the car jack to the opposite direction.
Do this until the tyre rests firmly on the ground and the jack is closed up.
Subsequently, remove the jack from underneath the car.
10. Tighten the lug nuts totally and replace the hubcap.
Once more, using the lug wrench, tighten the lug nuts fully by securing the wrench on each lug nut and turning it in a clockwise direction.
Finally, replace the hubcap if the vehicle has one.
Now, your car is good to go.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED WHEN CHANGING A CAR TYRE.
1. Always ensure you have the required tools for changing a car tyre in the boot of your car.
2. At all times, keep your tools in good condition by placing them in a cool, dry place, and cleaning them after each use.
3. Do NOT attempt to use unsuitable tools to change your car tyre. Make sure the lug wrench you attempt to use to change your car tyre is that which fits your vehicle.
Using unsuitable tools can result in the wearing or tearing of the lug nuts of your car.
4. When changing a car tyre, ensure that there are no young children near the vehicle. This will help prevent the children from sustaining injuries.
5. On every occasion, make certain that there is at least one well-pumped spare tyre in the boot of your vehicle.
6. Other precautions needed to be observed are embedded in the procedures listed above.
As you can see in this article, changing a car tyre is quite an easy task that can be done by one’s self. Give it a try and you will see how accomplished you will feel at the end of the task.
I hope you have been able to learn something new today.
2. Miller Auto & Marine: