What is depression?
How to beat depression is a very strong question but before learning how to beat it what is depression? Depression can be defined as a state of feeling sad, being in low spirits. It’s a state where there is no appetite to engage in activities that otherwise brought joy to one. It is a state of being disturbed without having an idea why?
Depression is a mood disorder that is marked by varying degrees of sadness, despair, and loneliness and it is usually accompanied by inactivity, guilt, loss of concentration e.t.c
More often than not, depression is passed off as a mood swing but it hides a far more sinister underlying mental issue if not tackled quickly. Anybody suffering from this should do all they can to beat depression before it leads to a bad end.
Below are some tips to beat depression:
Steps To Beat Depression
1. Always acknowledge that you need help. More often than not, we are the first to diagnose ourselves with any illness. Even before going to the doctor, we usually have an idea of what may be wrong with us. Diagnosing ourselves accurately and seeking help is very important when we need to beat depression. It is nothing to be shy about. Please do not keep your diagnosis to yourself. Tell somebody close to you who can support you to seek help even when you don’t feel like it.
2. Ensure to take your medications. Religiously take your medications when you have a prescription for depression. Do not ever try to skip your medications no matter how they make you feel.
3. Disassociate yourself from people or things that could make you relapse. For example: be around people who understand what you are going through and are willing to help you get through it not people who trivialize your condition or even make a mockery of you. It could bring about a relapse in your fight to beat depression.
4. To beat depression, you need to abstain from drug abuse and alcohol usage. Research has shown that alcohol or hard drug usage combined with medications for depression never goes well. The drugs alone could mess with your system and combining it with hard drugs or alcohol is a no-no.
5. Speak positive words to yourself or play motivational videos or audios whenever you feel yourself sinking into the throes of depression. Building yourself up with positivity is a great step to beat depression. Do not think it is the end of the road for you, or that you cannot come out of it but rather always have a positive and hopeful attitude. Think positive thoughts.
6. Beating depression takes determination and hard work. Be ready to fight, be ready to push, be ready not to give up readily. Keep pushing, keep believing, keep hoping, keep up the positive mindset and be rest assured that depression cannot and will not have the best of you.
7. Attend therapy sessions. Talking to someone about what you are going through helps to let out the emotions and feelings and ultimately it makes you feel better. Your therapist could be your spouse, pastor, a trusted confidant or a professional. Whichever works for you is fine. Just let it out
8. Last but not least, read stories of individuals who were able to beat depression against all odds. It serves as a great motivation.
REMEMBER YOU CAN BEAT DEPRESSION. Don’t remain in your shell of sadness, low esteem, or even suicidal thoughts. Globally, 322 million people are suffering from depression. It is a serious issue. Do not hesitate, get help today!